The best time to visit London England depends on why you’re visiting! If affordability and weather are important to you, then the overall best month to travel to London is September – see why below.
Why not get started planning your trip? You don’t want to miss any of the hundreds of unique experiences such as enjoying a London theatre production, visiting world class museums, enjoying exceptional shopping or soaking up a thousand years of cultural heritage.
With a history stretching back to Roman times, London’s been a sought after destination for hundreds of years for a reason.
If you’re traveling from the US to the UK, the busiest airports are Heathrow or Gatwick near London. Here’s how to get into London from either airport. Once you’re in London this is how to get around London like a local.
London is not only the capital of England and the UK but also one of the largest cities in the world covering 600 square miles with a population of almost 9 million. With so much to see and do all year round, decide what’s important to you and then plan your visit accordingly.
The Best Time to Visit London
- Weather – June, July and September
- Affordability – January and February
- Sports – summer and fall
- Theater – year round
- Markets – year round
- Attractions – September to June
- Christmas – November to January
Best Time to Visit London for Weather
- The best months to visit London for optimum weather conditions are June, July and September.
Here’s what you need to know if weather is a factor in your decision.
Hottest month: July averages 66 F/ 19 C but temperatures can go as high as 100 F/38 C although hot spells rarely last longer than a few days
Coldest month: January averages 43 F/ 6 C but temperatures can go much lower if a cold front moves in
Wettest month: October and November average 2.4 to 2.8 inches of rain but heavy rainfall can occur in the winter months also
London is in southern England, so forecasts for the rest of the country or the UK aren’t necessarily accurate. London will be warmer and drier due to its southern and easterly location. You may have heard recently about the summer heat waves here in England and Europe. If you’re traveling during the summer months, make sure your London accommodation has air conditioning (known as air con) because London will feel hotter than the surrounding countryside.
Best Time to Visit for Affordability
- The most affordable months to visit London are January and February.
Get the best deals on airfares to London during the winter months of January and February. Hotels may also discount rates during this time. Average daily hotel room rates in London have increased from 2020 to 2022 as demand recovers so book ahead to get your best deal.
- Super low season: January and February
- Low season: November to March
- Shoulder season: April to mid June and September to October
- High season: mid June through August
|The Resident Victoria||The Waldorf Hilton||St. James Court|
|January||from £132||from £247||from £269|
|July||from £267||from £359||from £351|
|September||from £266||from £373||from £377|
Best Time to Visit for Sporting Events
For sports fans, London hosts world class sporting events year round so the best time may depend on which event you want to attend.
- Wimbledon June to July
The longest running tennis tournament in the world is also one of four global Grand Slam tennis events. To book tickets you have to enter a public ballot which doesn’t guarantee tickets which are selected at random.
- Rugby League World Cup 2021 – postponed to Oct. 15-19, 2022
Worlds best teams compete to win championship title.
- UEFA Womens’ Euro 2022 – July 6-31, 2022
London hosts 4 matches for the 16 nation teams competing to be the champions of European football.
- RideLondon – May
Weekend cycling festival which takes place across London.
- London Marathon – Oct. 2, 2022
Each year 40,000 plus runners compete and run through London streets. Ready to enter?
Best Time to Visit London for Theater
- Theater productions run year round in London so the best time to visit is during the run of a show you want to see! Check to see what’s on.
Popular scheduled shows playing in London
- Wicked – Sept 2021 to May 2023
- TINA – The Tina Turner Musical Aug 2021 – Dec 2022
- The Lehman Trilogy – Jan 2023 to May 2023
- Mamma Mia – Aug 2021 to March 2023
- Frozen the Musical – Aug 21 to March 2023
- Moulin Rouge – Nov 2021 to Feb 2023
Best Time to Visit London Street Markets
- Visit Londons covered or street markets any time of year as most markets are open for shopping and dining year round.
Open 7 days a week
Best Time to Visit London for Christmas & New Years
- The holiday season from November to early January is the perfect time to visit London if you’re looking for a festive party atmosphere.
London gets lit up during the holiday season so if you’re looking for a dazzling display of lights, decorations, markets and special seasonal events, visit during November and December and stay for New Years Eve.
- Christmas at Kew | Nov 17 – Jan 9
The Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew in Richmond, London turns into an enchanted lit fantasy after dark. More info.
- Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park | Nov 19 – Jan 3
Fairground rides, Christmas markets, ice skating and sculpting workshops turn this famous park into a wonderland. More info.
- Hogwarts in the Snow at Warner Bros Studio Tour | Nov 13 – Jan 16
Harry Potter film sets are transformed into a snowy wonderland as part of a self guided tour at Warner Bros Studio Tour. The Forbidden Forest and the Great Hall get a festive and magical makeover for the holidays. More info.
- Christmas Carols at St Paul’s Cathedral | Dec 1 – Dec 24
Get in the mood by attending a free carol concert or a friendly service at the legendary London cathedral. More info.
- Seasonal Festivities in London | December 1-31
From lights, decorations, ice skating rinks, Christmas markets, carolers to the spectacular lit tree in Trafalgar Square, London lights up for the holiday season all December long. Don’t miss the imaginative store window displays along Oxford Street. More info.
- New Years Day Parade | Jan 1
- Floats from around the world, performers and stunt motorcyclists put on a traditional New Years Day parade through the streets of Londons West End and the theatre district. More info.
Overall Best Time to Visit London
- Daylight hours: 11:40 to 13:33
- Sunshine: 6 hrs per day (similar to August)
- Rainfall: 26mm /1.02”
- Affordability: Shoulder season, with some discounted rates
- Attractions: All attractions are open with normal hours
- Average room rate: 73% cheaper than July rates
September is the ideal time to visit London. The weather is usually warm, mild and sunny with little rainfall. Attractions, gardens, museums, markets and the theater are still operating at normal times and hours. You’ll find fewer crowds because most schools are back in session. Room rates are likely to be less expensive than peak summer.
Overall September is an optimum time to visit London for the best combination of weather and affordability!
psst, you can plan your next trip with a little help from me